Redeveloping our website and investing in a bunch of new marketing and promotional materials in the last few weeks has meant that I’ve spent a lot of time working with all aspects of our corporate identity again. Our logo being one of them. When you spend so long staring at something it almost fades into the background and you begin to forget why it’s even there! Ever wondered what the story behind our logo is?
Most of the feedback we’ve had about our logo is that, rather negatively, it looks like the logo for a cereal or bread brand. Some of the more positive and rewarding comments we’ve had are that our image is trendy and modern. Funnily enough, when designing the logo back in 2010, we didn’t intend on mimicking the image of a food products company. Instead, we unsurprisingly wanted a completely blank canvas to work with, and to detach ourselves from the previous identity.
Unfortunately, many local customers and people in the distribution industry would have remembered the Speed of old who sadly had a reputation of providing below par service levels. In a close-knit community like Welshpool and Powys, a bad reputation is hard to shake and we knew it would be detrimental to our long term success. The most cost effective and quickest way of letting people know we had changed after our 2010 acquisition was to completely regenerate our corporate identity.
So back in summer 2010, a few of us armed with a blank piece of paper began brain storming. We needed to symbolise several key values that had begun to shape the company:
- Rejuvenation and rebirth
- Dynamic and fast moving
- Innovation, strategy and forward thinking
- Natural, caring, relaxed
With those points in mind, the logo you see today, is what we came up with. We think it ticks all the boxes:
- The italicised typeface symbolises movement, dynamicity and progress. The yellow rays give the impression of movement.
- The yellow rays symbolise a sunrise – a new beginning and the dawn of a new era for the company
- The clean, contemporary sans-serif type face and soft colours are contemporary and symbolise innovation
- The natural and Earthy colour palette show that we’re a caring, natural and relaxed company
What are your thoughts about our identity?